Community Engagement and Operations Specialist
Pay Grade: $18 – $22 per hour (40 hours per week)
Reports To: Director, Airport Authority
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Director of the West Michigan Regional Airport Authority, this person will be responsible for oversight and execution of Community Engagement initiatives at West Michigan Regional Airport while supporting the Director with certain operational objectives required under MDOT & FAA Grant Assurances or as prioritized by the Airport Authority.
Ideal candidate will be innovative, adaptive with a project management mindset. Importantly, the candidate must be willing to learn and grow and have a mindset toward strategic planning, economic development, and public service. Familiarity with operations in a General Aviation Airport setting is a plus. Proficiency in using PowerBI, or other data modeling platforms, is preferred.
The primary functions of this role are summarized below:
- Building upon and growing existing “Work Based Education” and community engagement initiatives established at West Michigan Regional Airport in cooperation with on- and off-field nonprofit partners as well as community education organizations including: the Ottawa Area ISD, Career Line Tech Center, and other regional partners. This role is responsible for planning and supporting the Airport’s Involvement FuturePREPd through the Ottawa Area ISD.
- Completion of development and ongoing data input and management of the Airport’s Operational Dashboard utilizing PowerBI and making certain information publicly available through the community engagement dashboard.
- Planning and management of Community Engagement and Airport Events, including the annual Tulip Time Flyin and Aviation Day, while also identifying additional opportunities for engagement on-field and throughout the community with regional partners and stakeholders.
- Exploring Sustainability initiatives and partnerships with on-field partners and in alignment with FAA standards.
- Supporting the Director in administrative duties related to routine airport operations and administrative functions.
- Supporting Airport operations and functions in the Director’s absence, within a defined scope of authority, or seeking direction and guidance from appropriate authority.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assist in Managing and Maintaining key operations contracts.
- Engagement with elected and appointed officials, community leaders, and key stakeholders.
- Support development and execution of operational and service requests for proposals.
- Management and oversight of Airport’s Marketing Strategy.
- Analyzing data and identifying operational trends over time.
- Compiling dashboards for tracking and reporting out key Airport performance metrics.
- Maintenance of workflow management systems.
- Support the research, review, and drafting of operational policies.
- Review and propose process improvement strategies to the Airport Authority Director for consideration.
- Support Airport in attracting a diverse range of users, businesses, and community members actively engaged at the West Michigan Regional Airport.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Director in compiling monthly Board Meeting Packets.
- Support Director in execution of projects and duties as necessary.
- Serve as key point of contact for all Airport related inquiries in the Director’s Absence.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- College Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Project Management, Airport Management, or other similarly related field. Bachelor’s preferred.
- Preferred (3) three + years related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the duties of the job as described.
- Experience using PowerBI or similar database management software.
- Related experience with Cloud Based/Hybrid Work based Platforms.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with various levels of Airport personnel and the diverse members of the general public in situations requiring tact and patience.
- Proficient computer skills necessary to utilize basic word processing, spreadsheet, databases, and related applications.
- Ability to occasionally work under pressure in meeting deadlines, and work on projects requiring attention to detail with frequent disruptions from people and/or phone calls.
- Ability to communicate frankly and efficiently in conveying key concepts or ideas.
- Being confident in conveying important information to leadership, even if it runs contrary to dominant perspectives.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Physical ability to periodically sit in one position for extended periods of time.
- Normal office environment with little, if any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like.
- Hybrid work friendly.
- Flexible schedule.
- Occasional travel for work.
- Competitive PTO Package
- MERS Retirement Contribution
- Health/Dental Opt-Out Stipend
- Employer supported Professional Development Opportunities
SUCCESS OF CANDIDATE:
One key focus of this position is to establish tools and systems in support of the goals of the Airport Authority. However, this role is also designed with the understanding that there will need to be room for growth and learning on the job may be required. Success will both be measured by completion of projects and by the candidate’s dedication and thoroughness in approaching their responsibilities.
Please email the following items to [email protected]
- Cover letter
- List of references
- List of any professional certifications or PD relevant to the duties of the job.
Posting open until filled.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a
person assigned to this job. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties that may be
performed by a person so classified.