Most of West Michigan is in a blizzard warning from December 22 to December 24. Heavy snow, strong winds and ice are expected. See the National Weather Service for more information.
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Grand Rapids MI
1051 AM EST Thu Dec 22 2022
Including the cities of Ludington, Baldwin, Hart, Fremont, Muskegon, Grand Haven, Jenison, Grand Rapids, Holland, Hastings, South Haven, and Kalamazoo
…BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
7 PM EST SATURDAY…
- WHAT…Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations in excess of a foot in many areas. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.
- WHERE…Portions of southwest and west central Michigan.
- WHEN…From 4 PM Thursday to 7 PM EST Saturday.
- IMPACTS…Travel will likely become very difficult to impossible…especially on Friday. Widespread blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches and cause power outages.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Snow…blowing snow and cold temperatures are all expected between this afternoon and Saturday. Blizzard
conditions will develop late tonight and continue into the weekend. The strongest winds and therefore the worst travel will come on Friday. Travel is not advised. Whiteout conditions will be frequent. Snow accumulations in excess of a foot will be possible in many areas. Given the variability of
lake effect snow…which will dominate much of this event…you could very well see more or less snow depending on location.
Travel should be restricted to emergencies only. If you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay with your vehicle.