West Michigan Regional Airport
City of Holland
Formed in 2008, the West Michigan Regional Airport Authority is comprised of representatives from three local municipalities: City of Holland, Park Township and City of Zeeland. The Airport Authority is responsible for the budget and operation of West Michigan Regional Airport, as well as safeguarding the public interest of its member communities. The City of Holland’s Board members are appointed by the City Council.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent the interests of the City of Holland on the Airport Authority Board in expanding development on Airport property and in meeting the needs of the airport’s users, tenants, and the supporting community at large.
- Provide insight on how best to engage constituents of current member communities as well as expand engagement with other regional partners; with an emphasis on diversifying the range of stakeholders engaging with the Airport on a regular basis.
- Provide strategic insight in expanding current relationships, and engaging new partners in the regional business community.
- Provide strategic oversight related to future land use planning and development on Airport property.
- Provide strategic input regarding expanded public uses of current airport facilities and identifying potential future opportunities.
- As part of the Board, vote to approve annual budgets, contracts, certified resolutions, capital expenditures, Federal & State funding grants, monthly financial reports, policies, procedures, and other related operational items.
- Attends monthly meetings of the Airport Authority Board on the 2nd Monday of the month at 11:30am, as well as occasional special meetings.
- Participation on one of three standing subcommittees (Operations, Communications, or Building & Development) and attends scheduled meetings; committees meet on an as-needed basis.
- Oversees performance of Airport Authority Director and provides annual performance evaluation.
- Attends occasional offsite public meetings & events on behalf of the Airport Authority.
Each member of the Authority Board shall serve for a term of four (4) years. No member of the Board shall serve more than two (2) consecutive terms. No member of the Board shall be eligible for re-appointment until twelve (12) months have elapsed since the prior service of the member on the Authority Board.
The ideal candidate will be visionary, creative, and able to balance both the needs of the community, constituents, and stakeholders of the municipalities which directly support the airport through their property taxes as well as the pilots, businesses, and passengers who utilize the airport’s facilities. The ideal candidate will value diversity of thought, expertise, and lived experience. This airport serves as a critical economic driver, supporting over $165 million in direct economic activity to the region. The West Michigan Regional Airport serves as a Gateway to the region and is often the first experience and touch point many travelers have to West Michigan. Some preferred qualifications are outlined below:
- City of Holland representatives must be a resident within the City’s corporate city limits.
- Preferred candidates should have some relevant experience in one or more the following areas:
- Economic development
- Strategic planning
- Prior Board experience is a plus
- Budget development & management
- Equitable engagement
- Community engagement
- Stakeholder engagement
- Aviation experience is a plus
- Board Certification preferred, but not required
- Normal office environment with little, if any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like.
- Occasional offsite travel for meetings, with travel expenses being covered by the Airport Authority.
This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties that may be performed by a person so classified.
Application Form – Please email completed application to Aaron Thelenwood at [email protected]